Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

· Costumes for Some Dear Friends ·

· This post was initially scheduled for last week, but due to some internet glitches, it didn't quite make it.  I'm pleased to finally present it in its intended form this week! ;-) ·

There is a family that holds a very special place in my heart.  Seven and a half years ago, I first started going over to help out each week.  Over all the life changes that have occurred since then, it is the one part of my schedule that has remained constant.  Knowing this family has changed me and been a part of shaping me into who I am today.  The children are like all the younger siblings I never had. :-)  The second year after I started helping out, I wanted to sew the children a Christmas gift, so I made each of them a cape for playing dress-up.  The next year, the idea got a bit more elaborate (as all good ideas have a tendency to do... ;-)) - knight tunics for the boys and princess dresses for the girls.  Over the years, they've gone from 4 children to 7, and I've made aprons and felt food, peasant outfits, Indian outfits, and Renaissance outfits.  The challenge each year is to find a new idea, while trying not to get too out of control. ;-)

Given my natural inclination for historical clothing, I usually try to go with a historical theme and this year ended up being roughly late 1880s-90s.  My idea was to have something inspired by the book "Little Town on the Prairie". (a bit later and less "sun-bonnety" than Little House on the Prairie)  


The girls' dresses were made with Simplicity 2843.  It was the perfect pattern- 3 different options build right in! :-)  I ended up almost exactly copying the pattern cover, fabric-wise.  I try not to do that, but what can I say?  The cover dresses were pretty cute! (well, and those were the best fabric options I found at the store....)

The boys' vests were made from Simplicity 4762.  I was really happy to finally use this pattern- I've really liked it for a while but never had a good time to make it. :-) (this may or may not have been the deciding factor in choosing this theme....) The shirts are Simplicity 5448.  The cravats are simple rectangles, and the hats were made using online directions for 19th cen. engineers' caps.


The vests and hats were made from scraps of fabric in our stash- I was pleased with how well all the colors coordinated! :-)


I love the back of these vests!


Recognize this vest fabric?  Now I wish I had purchased 50 yards of that stuff.  It's perfect for everything.


The 2 smallest vests were made with a toddler pattern, and I just added the Simplicity collar to them.


I wanted to add a little interest to this dress, and we ended up having the perfect match in the ribbon hoard. ;-)


Back bow detail, also showing the crocheted trim on the "apron" drape.


Gathered eyelet trim on the smallest dress


Gathered flounce on the smallest dress


3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of work! I wonder what "going overboard" would look like... ;) Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee! Yeah, that's why I try to restrain myself. ;-)

      Delete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com