Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

· Wool Regency Tailcoat ·


My sewing business keeps me happily busy but my projects usually fall under the alterations or modern custom work category, so when I was asked to make a Regency tailcoat, it was a most welcome change from my normal! :-)  

The original plan was to use the Country Wives tailcoat pattern to make this coat, but after trying on the mock-up it was evident that the pattern was, unfortunately, totally unusable.  The pattern's armholes and neck are alarmingly large- even taking into account a more modern fit, they are much too large for asthetics or movement. 

Thankfully, my friend Gabe was able to make a custom tailcoat draft from Peter's measurements, so I was saved the headache of trying to fumble my own way through a solution. :-)  He makes custom drafted patterns based off of your personal measurements and specializes in 17th- 19th century mens clothing.  Check out his etsy shop for custom garments and patterns!  The new draft worked wonderfully, and looks great! :-)

Unfortunately, I currently only have pictures of it on a hanger.  It (obviously!) looks so much better when it's on, but these will have to suffice for now. ;-)


The tailcoat is machine-sewn, but all finishing details are done by hand.  I pad-stitched the collar and lapels; and it makes me want to get into tailoring more. ;-)



 The coat is made of a medium weight wool and lined in brown polished cotton.  This was my first time doing official hand-sewn buttonholes, and the thought of it was quite intimidating. :-)  I did lots and lots of reading, several practice ones, and then bit the bullet.  I'm very glad that there were only 3 visible buttonholes, and while they are passable, there is a reason I don't have a picture showcasing them... ;-)  I read somewhere that it takes 1,000 buttonholes before you get the hang of it, so I guess I just have 993 more to go. :-P  Great.  I'm a perfectionist and I love instant gratification just as much as the next person! ;-)


The M-notch collar is made of a very soft cotton velvet, as are the buttons and cuffs. 

· Pictures by Kathryn ·

11 comments:

  1. This is so lovely, and the details are understated but they all work nicely! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! My first sewing machine only had a straight stitch so I had to hand sew all my buttonholes. So I was actually more intimidated to try sewing them by machine at first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, how funny! We should trade our buttonhole projects with each other. :-D

      Delete
  3. Well, I've been doing buttonholes by hand for years and I'm pretty sure mine never look as good as yours did… which in your opinion is possibly just saying that I make terrible buttonholes. But it's meant to be a compliment in a roundabout way… *cough*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. :-) So does that mean if you want hand-sewn buttonholes on one of your garments, you'll be satisfied with my pathetic attempts? ;-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I wonder if your friend might be willing to make a custom pattern pour moi? My roly poly little self is quite frankly beyond the scope of regular patterns and although I have drafted a few patterns for myself, I'd love to have a few simple 30s-40s style dress patterns that are properly done. Not exactly his time period or, I suspect, his usual garment type, but thought I'd ask anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, You could always ask- however, like you said- that's really not his specialty so I can't guarantee results. ;-) If you ever need a costume for Noah, however....! :-)

      Delete
  5. Hello Lilly
    I was vainly :) looking on Google images to see if my Etsy listings of Regency Tailcoat Costumes would show up and I just happened to click on a photo of a tailcoat with the M notch and THERE YOU WERE!!!
    This coat is great,You young folks amaze me! Would love to see the riding habit.
    Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com