Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, October 19, 2013

· Silk 1950s Dress ·


The wedding of a dear friend in August was the perfect excuse for a new silk dress. :-)  I have had this changeable dupioni for several years now, but I never had quite the right inspiration for it.  Since it is so very slubby, I really felt like it could only be used for something 1950s rather than historical.  When I saw Butterick 5880 in the book this spring, I knew it was meant to be. ;-)

This dress ended up being a big diversion from my norm- with the exception of changing the side zipper to the back and using an accent button instead of a belt, I didn't make any changes to the pattern!  This pattern really has enough drama of its own, though, and combined with the silk it really didn't need any added help! ;-)
I love the pleated drape showcases the silk's crispness.  The vintage rhinestone button adds just a bit of sparkle.  The darling hat is borrowed from Tara, but really- I think I should just permanently "borrow" it next time. ;-)

· Pictures by Kathryn ·

14 comments:

  1. Eeep! So fabulous! I love everything about this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful gown! The color and style are simply stunning!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOVE this dress... and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaw-dropping gorgeous-ness right there.

    And nope, can't permanently borrow that hat, as it's one of my favorites. How about you just move up here and be our neighbor, and we can trade hats every week? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! The pleated drape certainly does showcase the silk's features wonderfully! And the color is beautiful!

    Brigid
    The Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's gorgeous!!! (It was so fun to see this as I've just been having my own formal-fabric/wedding sewing adventures...in blue satin, though. Thankfully everything turned out great in the end. ;-)) And BTW: I particularly love the compositions of your first two photos. The lighting is lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! This has to be one of the most gorgeous dresses ever. And that fabric is PERFECT! I wish you could sew my wardrobe, 'cause I've loved every single dress you've shared!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Lily! I especially love the pleating and accent button!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! This is amazing! I simply adore the cut! It's simply stunning!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful version of this dress. The fabric choice is perfect! I'm making it in burgundy satin and using a dark steel grey satin for the reverse of the over-skirt. I'm getting just a hint of grey at the pleats that's working well. I'm definitely going to use your idea of the button at the waist rather than the belt. It really plays up the vintage look well.

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com